Sunday, February 3, 2019

Author Deborah Burst on 'The Writing Life'


This week’s guest blog is by Deborah Burst, author of numerous books about Louisiana. In addition to penning great Bayou State tomes, Burst is an award-winning travel writer and photographer.

The Writing Life by Deborah Burst
In 2003, when I first began my historic church column, I fell in love with the people, history and that unique presence that lives inside these heavenly havens. I’ll never forget my first assignment, the St. Joan of Arc church in New Orleans near the Mississippi River.

When I pulled up to the church, the priest and others came out to greet me offering to help haul all gear--my recorder, camera bag, tripod and notebook. So consumed with the task at hand, and a bit nervous about my first gig, I locked my keys in the car. The staff was most helpful in calling someone to retrieve the keys.

How ironic, that a rocky start was the beginning of a new calling.

As I sat down to write that first article, I studied the photographs and listened carefully to the recording. The words began to flow, a new technique that continues today, the language of art and architecture. In studying every minute detail of the photo, I was compelled to do more research, and so began my mission to share the generations who built these lordly monuments.


When the magazine came out, I returned to the church with several copies. Everyone was overwhelmed with appreciation. One prominent member of the church took me to the side, holding the magazine close to her chest, she said, “Ms. Burst you have found your ministry, God has given you a gift.”

That was 15 years ago, and I have honored that ministry with a long list of articles and my Louisiana’s Sacred Places series of books.

Perhaps the underlying message here is to follow your passion, then narrow it down to a specific genre. With each research trip, photoshoot, article and chapter, the words will grow, and so will your focus.

It took nine years from that first church article before my first book, and although I wrote many articles with a wide array of subject matter, it seemed like my calling returned when I least expected it.

And so is the story in how the lauded author of vampire lore, Anne Rice, wrote the foreword of my first book.

There’s a point in your career when you are ready for the next chapter, and although I loved travel writing, I needed a break. My dear friend and talented writer and author, Cheré Coen, joined me on a media trip to Little Rock, Arkansas. In chatting with her about taking a new career direction, she suggested I get in touch with History Press publishing. And I did.  

Back to Anne Rice. When she came out with her Christ the Lord series I interviewed Anne for an article with Southern Breeze magazine. I had previously written about her childhood church, St. Alphonsus Church in New Orleans. We chatted a bit about the glorious architecture, and I mentioned that I always dreamed of writing a book about historic churches featuring my photographs. She said, “Well let me know if you need anything.”

In 2012, I signed a publishing contract with History Press for a historic church book titled, Hallowed Halls of Greater New Orleans.


When History Press called to congratulate me on the great news, they said, “By the way, we really enjoyed your comment about Anne Rice doing the forward, we had a good laugh.”

After a bit of silence, I said, “Here in New Orleans, when we say we’re going to do something, we don’t kid around.”

In 2013, my first book, graced with a foreword by Anne Rice, received rave reviews. As an added bonus, the first chapter shares Anne’s story of she growing up in St. Alphonsus church.

Just a year later in 2014, I was ready to expand my focus and go beyond churches. I began a new fascination with funerary architecture amid the shadows of cemeteries. History Press wasn’t interested, and so I began a challenging, but rewarding venture, my first self-published book. Louisiana’s Sacred Places: Churches, Cemeteries and Voodoo, is a trail of history and mystery. All the print copies sold out in just two years.

In November 2015, it was time to share my life’s work, a creative memoir titled, Southern Fried and Sanctified: Tales from the Back Deck. My most poetic book, it is southern storytelling at its best, along with historic churches and cemeteries across the south. Stocked with a decade of writing and photography, it features my favorite places, people, pets and personal essays.

Continuing with the Sacred Places series, Spirits of the Bayou: Sanctuaries, Cemeteries and Hauntings, is my most comprehensive book. Released in October 2016, the book captures the artistic landscapes of sacred temples, historic graveyards and shrouded bayous. The trail begins in New Orleans, then north across Lake Pontchartrain to the hidden gems of St. Tammany Parish. Readers then travel along the back roads and bayous of Lafitte, Houma, Raceland, Franklin and Morgan City. In closing the book, I share the spiritual world of trees, butterflies and dragonflies.

It was that last chapter of Spirits of the Bayou that brought me in a slightly different direction, but still equally sacred, my love for nature and trees. My fifth book, The Magical World of Trees, is a trail of discovery, a most unique journey. Inside the forests there is life, brain activity among the roots and a symbiotic relationship between trees and humans. A most unique language, a silent accord that brings peace and tranquility, one translated by our brains and heart, just a walk through a park lowers stress and boosts mental health.

As you can see, our creative lives have twists and turns. It is a product of the world around us with everyday trials and triumphs. Often times, like a tree, the words are hidden, you don’t hear it; instead, you feel it, and that’s when your writing shines. 

For a peek at my books’ photo galleries and more info on ordering books, visit my website, www.deborahburst.com. 

Follow Deborah on social media at: FacebookInstagram and Twitter.



Louisiana Book News is written by award-winning author Chere Dastugue Coen, who writes Louisiana romances and mysteries under the pen name of Cherie Claire. Her first book in each series is FREE to download as an ebook, including "Emilie," book one of The Cajun Series, "Ticket to Paradise," book one of The Cajun Embassy series and "A Ghost of a Chance," the first Viola Valentine mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment