Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Wade's book on Pitot House out in time for anniversary

            Bayou St. John curving through New Orleans near City Park used to be a major sources for transportation to the colonial city. In 1708 Antoine Rivard de Lavigne built a house on the bayou, and James Pitot purchased the architecturally significant home in 1804. In 1964, the house was in danger of demolition and the Louisiana Landmarks Society moved the Pitot House and restored it. The Society will celebrate this 50th anniversary with a gala on Nov. 6.
            To get a sense of the history of this magnificent house, read the newly released book “The Pitot House: A Landmark on Bayou St. John” by James Wade, a member of the Society’s board of directors, where he is also the correspondence secretary, chair of the publications committee, preservation editor and docent at the Pitot House museum. The book is published by Pelican Publishing out of New Orleans.
            Wade will be speaking at the Louisiana Landmarks Society event (and signing books) from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 23 at the East Bank Regional Library, 4747 W. Napoleon Ave. in Metairie.

            To read a Q and A with the author, click here.

Cheré Coen is the author of “Forest Hill, Louisiana: A Bloom Town History,” “Haunted Lafayette, Louisiana” and “Exploring Cajun Country: A Historic Guide to Acadiana” and co-author of “Magic’s in the Bag: Creating Spellbinding Gris Gris Bags and Sachets.” Write her at cherecoen@gmail.com.